Instructions for Filing an Application for a Variance
- The petitioner for a variance must complete the application
in full. The application will NOT be processed unless ALL information
requested is provided.
- There is a $150.00 filing fee for each variance application.
- An accurate plot plan of the property in question must accompany
the application. The plot must be drawn by a registered land surveyor,
licensed engineer or licensed architect. The drawing shall include:
- dimensions of the entire lot;
- location and dimension of all existing structures (principal
and accessory) including number of stories and gross floor
- location and dimension of all existing driveway(s) and pedestrian
improvements on site and on adjoining properties within ten
(10) feet of the subject lot;
- location and dimension of all existing parking areas including
the total number of spaces. Where the subject use is to share
a common parking area with other existing or future uses,
indicate the allocation of spaces devoted or reserved to each
- location and dimension of required bufferyards;
- minimum building line (R/W) MBL.
- any other site graphic or written information in support
of the request at the option of the applicant;
- eighteen (18) paper copies of the plan; 8.5" x 11" minimum
to 30" x 42" maximum; scale of 1" = 20' or
- location map drawn to scale of not less than 1" = 1000'.
NOTE: The Board of Adjustment reserves the right to require additional
information where such submission is necessary to insure compliance
with applicable criteria in the individual case.
The petitioner shall submit to the Department
of Planning and Development a list of all adjoining property
owners within one hundred (100 ) feet of the property which is
the subject of the action, with the current mailing address of
each. These adjoining property owners will be notified of the
proposed variance request.
The applicant shall submit the following with the application
and the plot plan:
a) Tax Map
b) Tax Card
The application must be signed by those who are authorized to
appeal to the Board of Adjustment for a variance.
In order to be considered by the Board of Adjustment, applications
must be submitted to the Department of
Planning and Development no later than the fifteenth (15th)
day of the month prior to the month in which the request will
be heard by the Board of Adjustment. For more information and
assistance, call the City of Washington Department
of Planning and Development at (252) 975-9384.
These are minimal submission requirements.
The Board of Adjustment may require additional information.
You are encouraged to submit copies of available property surveys,
recorded easements, etc..
Application for a Variance
Page 1 (Applicant
Information & Statement, Relevant Factors)
Page 2 (Applicant
Responses to Relevant Factors, pt. 1)
Page 3 (Applicant
Responses to Relevant Factors, pt. 2)
Page 4 (Property
Owners Within 100 Feet)
Page 5 (Owner
Authorization for Non-Owner Application)
Applicant should print out and complete all five (5) pages.